As excited as I am every year for the holidays, it can be overwhelming and emotionally challenging when you’re dealing with loss of loved ones. Pangs of excitement and sadness all at the same time. What I try to remember is that they would have wanted me (and you!) to enjoy it and live life to its fullest – to spend and treasure time with family and friends.
All of the decorations and bells and whistles are incomparable to the true meaning of Christmas: to spend time with the ones you love – family, friends, your community, your furry pet. So whether you’re going through a tough time this season or just excited to get the holidays started, here are 25 holiday bucket list ideas (many of which I’ll be checking off my list this season) to get you in the Christmas spirit.
Be Merry To Do List:
1. Visit a local community ice-rink and skate
2. Make your own Hot Chocolate and snuggle up to watch a Christmas movie.
3. Can’t be with friends and family in person? Schedule a virtual Gingerbread House making party!
4. Learn to bake your family’s tried and true recipes so that you can pass it down for generations!
5. Visit an outdoor Christmas Market.
6. Purchase a gift from a small business.
7. Buy an advent calendar – you deserve a festive treat everyday leading up to Christmas!
8. Pour a cup of Peppermint tea, snuggle up with a blanket, journal about what you’re grateful for presently, reflect on the last year and dream of what you want in the future.
9. DIY your Christmas wrapping paper. I LOVE a good potato stamp and some craft paper!
10. Go through your winter clothing and donate jackets and cold weather accessories you no longer wear to a local shelter or clothing drive.
11. Sing Christmas carols with family and friends. The best way to spread Christmas cheer is sing it loud for all to hear!
12. Send Christmas cards, whether you make them yourself or purchase them, it’s the thought that counts! Bonus – print out photos of you and the recipient, it makes them even more special.
13. Make a playlist of your favourite Christmas songs!
14. Put together a small self-care pamper kit and gift it to someone who needs it.
15. Watch your favourite classic holiday movie – Elf takes the cake for me!
16. Bake Gingerbread cookies and decorate them with family.
17. Go on a drive or a walk around your neighbourhood to see those Christmas lights.
18. Take family photos! Whether you set up your iPhone and tripod or get them done professionally.
19. Plan a festive day-trip or let the planning be done for you with Guess Where Trips.
20. Wrap your Christmas gifts while watching your favourite Hallmark Christmas movie (can you choose just one?).
21. Go through old family photos and organize them into photo albums.
22. Learn about your family’s ancestry and heritage with your parents or relatives.
23. Make a homemade gift, whether it’s food or a craft, it’s the thought that counts!
24. Try out a new cozy dinner recipe from scratch and pair it with a festive cocktail.
25. Plan a holiday get-together with family and friends and play some festive games.
What is one thing on your holiday bucket list you can’t wait to do this year? Let me know if the comments below 💌.